Thursday 23 January 2014

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #105 Work Close to Home

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #105 Work Close to Home

Statistics tell us that most people don’t like their jobs. If that’s the case, try finding yourself a job you’ll enjoy more, and while you’re at it, find one close to home. From personal experience I find it much nicer to work nearer where I live because I can get to and from work so much quicker. I have a four kilometre commute, which allows me to leave home later and arrive home earlier. More time at home with my family makes me happier. It also saves a lot of money on petrol/gas costs for my car, less wear and tear on my car and less wear and tear on me as I don’t have to sit in traffic for hours every week. Using my car less is better for the planet too. Having a happier home life from being content with one’s job also saves the community in mental health costs and doctors’ expenses, creates happier families because you’re home more to nurture your children and your relationships, and probably helps you to be a better employee as well.
Looking at the bigger picture – if more people who live in the metropolis of a big city work close to home, fewer people need to clog the roads for long distances, resulting in less petrol/gas being used, saving resources and reducing carbon emissions.
But wouldn’t it just be ‘nice’ to work close to home?

No comments: