Monday 7 July 2014

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #238 Try a Slow Cooker

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #238 Try a Slow Cooker

Here’s another small but useful electricity saving tip – try cooking in a slow cooker. These kitchen appliances have become quite popular over the past few years as people have looked for ways to provide healthy home-cooked meals for their families, within a very busy schedule. Here in Australia it’s the middle of winter and we are enjoying delicious hearty stews. The northern hemisphere can look forward to this traditional meal in a few months time – don’t forget to put it on your menu. If you have an electric oven, then using a slow cooker, on low, even over ten hours cooking time, you will use about a third of the amount of electricity the conventional oven uses. This will help reduce your electricity usage, save money, and reduce carbon emissions. So many benefits for the planet – and what’s more: you can cook all sorts of meals in a slow cooker. Check it out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOOOOOOVE my slow-cooker!!! In fact, I've always said that the day my slow-cooker dies, I'm going out the same day to buy another! Having a small family, I only have a 3.5L one but you can also get much larger (6L) ones for larger families. Save power by only heating up the size you need. I only really use mine for stewing fruit, making soups, hearty meaty stews and the best corned beef (silverside) in the world, but my friend showed me a website where people post pics & details of other things they cook in theirs, including cakes, scrolls, even pavlova! Must try some of those sometime. When our daughter first moved out we gave her a slow-cooker and specific recipe book. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MY SLOW-COOKER!