Friday 4 October 2013

1000 Flowers for the Planet - Care for Bees

1000 Flowers for the Planet - Care for Bees

Deep breath ... here I go:
Today is World Animal Day, a very fitting day to begin my very long journey of 1000 days.  This crocheted flower is the beginning of an art installation that will consist of 1000 flowers. Every day I will post a new flower with a new message. Every message will be a positive way in which we can improve our planet - our home.
When my husband shared an article on facebook about the Bayer company suing the European Commission to overturn a ban on the pesticides that are killing millions of bees around the world, I was horrified and angered. I soon decided to create an art piece that would 'say' something to the world. Caring for bees is a good place to start my long journey. If bees are not there to pollinate plants, they cannot continue to grow. Read more about what Bayer is doing at http://action.sumofus.org/a/bayer-bees-lawsuit/11/2/?sub=fb
and more information can be found at: www.eureporter.co
Or to learn about bees in general and their importance in the grand scheme of things:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/24/bee-decline-mite-defense-solitary-bee-neil-gaiman 
For my part, I've signed the petition protesting against Bayer's law suit to overturn the ban. Maybe you could think about taking that action too.
And for World Animal Day, begun in 1931! you can learn more about this at: http://www.worldanimalday.org.uk/
Welcome to my journey.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do set yourself some mighty tasks, don't you Margaret?! Love the flower, love the message, love the idea. Will look forward to following your every growing garden over the next 1000 days! Smiles, Sue xx