Saturday 26 October 2013

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #21 Share Your Magazines

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #21 Share Your Magazines


Magazines have quite an environmental footprint. For this Flower I shall only be talking about printed magazines as opposed to electronic magazines, which have their own set of environmental issues.
Print magazines begin as trees which need to be harvested, transported, produced into paper, transported and finally printed using inks. That’s the production part only. They’re then transported (again) to a point of sale where you can decide whether or not you buy one (or more). So far there are a lot of resources that have been used.
My first suggestion is to stop and think about whether you need to buy a magazine in the first place. They’re considered a throw-away item, unlike a book, which has a greater chance of being retained on the bookshelf. Magazines have short life-spans by their very nature. They’re designed to read once and be replaced by the next juicy copy that catches your eye with a headline. This is how companies make money.
I recognise that many, many people rely on magazines for their employment. If you feel you have to buy magazines, at least share them with your friends when you’ve finished reading them, and ensure multiple uses before they end up in landfill.
Hopefully they’ll be recycled though.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Each week, my parents & I take it in turns to do the shopping & errands for my Great-Aunty who now lives in an "assisted living facility". Every week she buys two mags, and when she's finished reading them, she gives one of them to her friend to do the puzzles and the other to Mum & me. When Mum's read it & pulled out the recipes, I get it to read and do all the puzzles. If they're recent ones, I drop them in to my hairdresser or doctor's surgery. Believe me, each mag gets read any number of times before it gets put in the recycle! S x