Wednesday 16 October 2013

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #13 Drink Tap Water

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #13 Drink Tap Water


Personally, I gave up drinking out of a bottle when I was one year old. However, I do still drink water. I obtain very cheap water from my tap and I like to drink it out of a glass, like a grown-up. Fortunately I find my local water to be very clean and tasty and perhaps that’s not the case with everyone. But I do think people have gone overboard with the whole ‘water’ thing, sucking away on their bottles in meetings, during conversation, walking down the street – anywhere they happen to be. It seems to me that some giant corporation somewhere along the line did some fantastic marketing and convinced a lot of people that they ‘needed’ to have water with them wherever they went.  Guess who the winner was in that scenario.
Buying bottled water is an immense waste of resources, both yours and the planet’s – crude oil to produce plastic containers, production, further packaging, transportation, single use, your hard-earned money, finished off with a nice touch of landfill. What a recipe for disaster!
Did you know that a litre of bottled water is more expensive than a litre of petrol? How does your hip pocket feel? Get some facts and figures on the Do Something website at:
http://www.gotap.com.au/Did%20you%20know/Facts.aspx
In Australia we use 50 million litres of oil to manufacture and distribute bottled water, and in the U.S.A. their landfills are overflowing with 2 million tons of discarded water bottles, aside from anything else. Get some interesting U.S statistics at:
http://thewaterproject.org/bottled_water_wasteful.asp

No comments: