Wednesday 31 December 2014

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #400 Celebrate Milestones

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #400 Celebrate Milestones


Milestones are the perfect points in time to stop and reflect – how are we going? Are we achieving what we set out to do? What have we learned? What do we need to do differently? These questions apply to everyone on the planet, even more than ever, as we face global warming, threats from super weather patterns, rising sea levels and pollution. As I take this journey of finding 1000 suggestion for how we can all improve the planet, I have at times felt desperate despair when I discover more and more corruption in every corner, when I listen to people who couldn’t care less about anything other than their own pockets, and when I see people mindlessly adding to the problems. When I start to think I’m fighting a losing battle, I remind myself that if I don’t keep doing something about it I’ll have to curl up on a remote island somewhere where I can’t see it all, because as long as there are things we can do better, then let’s get together and do it better.
So let’s celebrate the milestones, no matter how small. If we save one bear from a cage, close down one factory farm, free a bunch of chickens from battery farming, stop Bayer killing the bees (Flower #1), fight to stop Nestle from stealing drinking water around the world or Monsanto from suing farmers for saving seeds, then every step is a victory, every step takes us closer to a better, fairer, healthier world, and that’s worth celebrating.
Find things to fight for at sumofus.org where you can pick one reason to take action, or have a go at the lot – like me. I’ve reached Flower #400 and that is a milestone for me to celebrate, quietly at home with my family, before I plough ahead to find the next 100 ideas. I hope you’ll continue the journey with me.

No comments: