Tuesday 11 February 2014

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #121 Pay Bills Online

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #121 Pay Bills Online


For the next couple of weeks I’m going to suggest ways to use less paper.
I remember when I was a girl we had very little paper about the house. It was available, but it was not used excessively. I used it for my school work and I had cherished notepaper for writing letters, but we didn’t have reams of it lying around the house like we seem to today. I often feel like I’m drowning in the paperwork that finds its way into my house in the form of newsletters, advertising material, bills, receipts, documents, magazines, notes, vouchers etc. So let me offer a few ideas for reducing the paper problem.
Internet banking is used by many people these days, but if you don’t already, I suggest you give it a try. Pay your bills online with ease. You don’t have to leave your home to pay them, can pay any time of the day or night, and you won’t be given another piece of paper in the form of a receipt stapled to your bill. When you have paid the bill you can save a copy of the payment confirmation electronically to your hard drive where it can be filed appropriately and retrieved whenever necessary.  Job done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marg,
Great idea to do a series on saving paper. My immediate thought was having a black/white-board on the kitchen/hall wall to leave each other messages or notes, rather than on bits of paper. When I do have to leave a family member a (paper) note, I use our scrap-paper (reusing the backs of printer output no longer needed).