Tuesday 5 November 2013

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #31 Buy Only Free-Range Meat

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #31 Buy Only Free-Range Meat


I thought if I bought organic food that I was also buying food from farmers who give the best possible lives to their animals. However, when I came across a website for a butcher in my home town who sells only ‘free-range’ meat, I learned more about the industry and found that there was a difference between organic and free-range. Organic meat does not guarantee a good life for the animal concerned, whereas free-range does. The butcher I discovered sells only meat that he is positive has come from an animal that has been permitted to roam freely and act naturally. He also says that grass fed beef is better for our health than grain-fed beef and had links to information to prove his point. His meat is sourced locally meaning the food miles are minimised. This butcher also runs his entire business in an environmentally friendly way to ensure his impact on this planet is minimal.
If the meat is a little higher in cost than you would pay at the supermarket, it’s worth it, and we should probably eat smaller portions than we do anyway.
So sit at your computer for a while and see if you too can source locally produced free-range meat, and be good to the creatures who feed us.

No comments: