1000 Flowers for the Planet - #643 Use Non-Toxic Markers
Few people would even think about the markers used on whiteboards in schools as a possible health risk to their children. The traditional blackboard and chalk were considered a health risk to children with asthma and the change to whiteboards was supposed to be the solution. However, permanent or dry-erase markers are toxic, as are the cleaning products used in conjunction with them. They can cause health issues, including headaches, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, congestion and tiredness. Teachers and school staff should be aware of these problems and proactive in eliminating them, as children are more susceptible to health problems from toxic chemicals than adults are. Their little growing bodies need a good start to ensure they grow up healthy. So check with your child’s teacher about the products they use in the classroom and have them purchase nontoxic (low-VOC) products.