Friday 20 December 2013

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #73 Refuse Straws

1000 Flowers for the Planet - #73 Refuse Straws


Straws are single use plastic products that are quite unnecessary. I don’t know about you, but I learned how to drink out of a cup when I was a toddler, and I haven’t yet forgotten how to do it. Apart from the facts that these items are made of plastic, are used once, are then thrown into landfill (or end up blowing into gutters and make their way into water systems etc.), have a think about how they are handled – people pick them up and put them into a dispensing container, often tapping them down nicely with their hand. How hygienic is that?! Who knows how many hands have touched the straw before it goes to your mouth? It’s not something that appeals to me.
If you really, really love straws and have to use one, you can purchase glass straws. I would query how safe they are and how well you could actually clean them, but it is an option.
Otherwise, make sure you ask for your cocktails/drinks at the bar to come without a straw, and refuse them whenever possible.

No comments: