Tuesday 6 October 2009

Day 41

I can't wait to write in my new handmade book. It was made specially by my daughter. She has made it from scratch - folded the paper into signatures, sewed the signatures together, made the cover and put end papers in. Actually it is not quite as simple as that sentence makes it but it gives you an idea. The cover is cotton fabric from my patchwork stash. I love the florentine scrolls. The cover is also slightly padded with some wadding.

I intend to use the book to record my patchwork quilts as I make them. The inside of the book is all blank pages which means I have the freedom to draw pictures and diagrams and write as I please. The plan is that this book will keep me from developing a pile of UFOs. How? I will write about the work in progress from beginning to end. A second work in progress can be written about by turning the book over and starting at the back - a double sided book. I will be unable to write about a third project until at least one of the first two have been completed. Good idea?

My daughter sells the books she makes. This is the first fabric covered one she has made (mum should always get the first of anything !) so I am encouraging her to consider the market available to her in patchworkers, or any other crafters who want to record their works. If you're interested then email me at rowekeys101@optusnet.com.au


No comments: