Thursday 20 August 2009

New Phase Day 8

Another successful day with over 3,100 words written. I wrote a very emotional scene today which I found quite draining but I was very happy with it when I finished. I'm very close to the end of the book now. Perhaps another two chapters, maybe three. I really need to finish by the end of the week if I'm to get it to the printer on time.

Meanwhile, a little story of why I should not work in the garden (apart from the fact that I really don't like gardening). I had a packet of Flanders poppies that needed to be planted and thought the bed by the front step would be the perfect spot. It needed weeding and tidying up first so I did that then fetched a rake to pull back a layer of soil and mulch. The packet said there were a wopping 7,250 seeds so I figured I wouldn't have any problems filling the whole area of approximately 1.2m x 0.5m with that many seeds. Soil duly raked back I ripped open the packet and took a look inside. The seeds were miniscule which sort of confirmed the idea that there might be 7,250 seeds therein. The plan was to sprinkle some in one spot, cover them with soil and do the next spot until I'd reversed myself out from the corner back to the footpath. I gave a little sprinkle starting in the corner and POOF - all the seeds were gone from the packet. I stared into the packet in disbelief. Where did they all go? All 7,250 of them! Obviously all in the very corner of the garden bed. And being so small there was no hope of 'seeing' where they were. I tried spreading them around by rubbing my hands over the spot I thought they might be, then with resolution I covered them up and watered them in. I expect in 90 days we'll have a very pretty CLUMP of Flanders poppies tucked into the corner of the garden bed! Ho Hum.

No comments: