Tuesday 10 September 2013

Rainbow Afghan


I began crocheting this afghan the day my mother-in-law died. On reflection I believe I had a need to return to the comfort craft of my childhood. Every school holidays I would stay with my grandparents in Geelong. Nanna was always knitting if she was sitting. Mum tells me that when she was growing up, after dinner had been eaten, the dishes washed, dried and put away, the table set for breakfast the next morning (yes, with table cloth and all the correct cutlery and condiments), the family would sit down to listen to the radio and knit (females only). If you weren't prepared to knit then you had to go to bed.
Fortunately, the times I spent at my grandparents' were different and I didn't have to go to bed straight after dinner. But once I'd learnt to crochet I made granny squares until the cows came home. I made a cover for my grandfather's favourite cushion, a cover for the back of Nanna's chair, tea cosies - all sorts of things. I'd even get told off for crocheting in bed too late with my light on, and to "get to sleep!"
It took me two weeks to make this afghan, approximately 80 hours of work. I've been asked who I'm going to 'give' it to but I'd be happy to sell it. Who would like to pay me two weeks wages for it? How much do you earn in a fortnight? It's interesting how little value is put on a woman's time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, darl! What a wonderful rainbow afghan. Certainly a cheerful way to wrap up, and I LOVE the frilled edge. Particularly enjoyed the story of your holidays at Grandma & Grandpa's house and your childhood crocheting creativity. I enjoy the way you write. Sue xx