Wednesday 13 February 2013

Playing with Printmaking


I've been doing some homework today. The task was to create a design, make a print block using Soft Cut or Printers Foam, then play with the printing process. With the leaves above, I was learning about creating a block where the background was removed to leave the subject matter. I'd already played with formal layouts so this one was a fun, random play with shape and colour.
 The blue print above was an abstract design which was easy to create in the Printers Foam - I had even worked out how to produce smoother curves by this stage. Initially I thought it would only look good with frames around it, that's why I printed the top exercise leaving white space between each print, however, when I butted the motif next to itself I was surprised to find that one turn created a nearly perfect join with the previous print. It was a complete fluke. I could explore this further.
My pink one above is my favourite motive of the five I played with today. This looks terrific butted up next to itself, but I also like this overlay effect. All in all, a fun day's work. :)

No comments: