Wednesday 14 November 2012

BESS - my latest art piece

This is my latest piece, also my final piece, for school this year. We finish classes this week. My work is inspired by Queen Elizabeth I of England (reigned 1558-1603). The shape of the piece imitates the strong V shape of the bodice as portrayed in her later portraits. Lace features heavily as the invention of starch in the 16th century allowed the large ruffs to become fashionable and the lace industry flourished. The strip of lace on the left edge is hand crocheted by myself, and the other strips of lace are machine made pieces I've had for 30 years. Along the edge of the lace strips I have sewn beads reminiscent of the pearls that featured so heavily in paintings of Elizabeth, and larger beads nod to the mass of other jewels she wore. Portrait miniatures were very popular in Tudor England - I have used an old fob watch case to create my own miniature with a picture of Elizabeth therein. As we have been learning free motion machine embroidery I have included my attempt at a Tudor Rose using the free motion technique and washaway (not without much difficulty). Finally the string of pearls looped across the piece can be seen in many of Elizabeth's portraits where she is depicted with 'ropes of pearls'. Mine came from broken pearl necklaces that belonged to a maiden great-aunt who hasn't been with us for 27 years. Here is a closeup:



No comments: