Saturday 21 July 2012

Reflecting Vanity, Art U Wear 2012

At last I can reveal the outfit I made for the 2012 Bernina and Expertise Events Competition, Art U Wear. I decided to enter this competition last November, as a way of kick-starting my creative energies before I began my Textile Art course. As usual, my ideas far exceeded my abilities, and twice a gave up on the project. My daughter took my face in her hands and told me to "Just Finish It". I did. Just in time to take some photos and send them off for the competition.
I expected that to be the last of it. The outfit was packed away, unlikely to come out into the light of day for quite a while. But then I learned I had been chosen as a finalist. I was astonished and proud. I sent the outfit to Sydney for judging, but was not selected for any of the prizes. It doesn't matter, I achieved far more than I expected to achieve. I'm a winner.
Two days ago a Bernina rep told me my outfit was being returned. Only a select few are going to tour the country to all the Craft Shows in the capital cities. That's quite what I expected to happen. My outfit is very difficult to put onto a living person, let alone a mannequin. So I've learned that next year I must consider ease of 'use' when planning an entry.
I'm very proud of what I've achieved, and learned a lot along the way. I hope you enjoy the photos.

 



No comments: