Wednesday 14 September 2011

Laura Ashley charm squares

One of my patchwork friends had a number of stacks of Laura Ashley charm squares which she gave to each of us in our group. We received a stack about 6" high with 2 sets of charm squares containing 4 pieces of each print. These fabrics are genuine 1970s Laura Ashley. What a gift, considering today's retro craze.
Initially I wanted to make mock cathedral window blocks using black, thinking that would pop the bright colours out, but after making a couple I was not happy with my work or the effect and gave up on that idea. One of my friends was making hers a two sided quilt using the square in a square block and it turned out so well I copied her. Half way through I decided I wanted to do something different with the second set of charm squares after seeing the windmill block in a magazine. I have now decided that one side will be square in a square and the other side will be windmills and both will have white sashing. Now I need to get white fabric to go with the old Laura Ashley. Stay tuned.

No comments: