Monday 7 January 2013

Artwork at Brunswick Street Gallery

It's Time to Watch What we Do I, II and III

These pieces are actually out of order and as they sit are II, Animal Cruelty ; I, Computer Waste ; III, Water Pollution. They are made with clock and watch parts couched onto hand-dyed cotton. Each watch face has a photograph in it depicting the topic. Animal Cruelty is quite confronting. We went to the gallery to see my pieces and how they sit amongst so much other art. Many pieces were unframed works on paper, some showed great talent for drawing, others great ability to paint. I walked around the gallery noting that only one person's work had sold, and wondered why. Was there too much to look at in one place? My thoughts on why my own work didn't sell is because it is statement art and way too confronting for people to want to take home and put on their wall. I can see that if I want to sell art, I'll have to make pieces that people 'like' - perhaps because they're pretty, definitely not works that make people uncomfortable. 
Here is some perspective on how my work looked in situ.


2 comments:

Raewyn said...

Hi Margaret, I've just had a lovely catch up read of your blog - it's been intersting to see what you have been up to. Your art pieces are fascinating too - congratulations on being exhibited!! I've just started my new book which my son got me for Christmas!! Seems like I am going to enjoy it!

Margaret A. Rowe said...

Thanks, Raewyn, for your nice words. And I certainly hope you do enjoy the latest book. Am working on the next one =)