Monday 2 April 2012

Balance?


Why is it that life seems to give, only to take away? Yesterday I made a serendipitous find when driving around to a friend's house. I came upon this public art piece in  my neighbourhood. This is nothing new, I know, but whilst I have seen plenty of pictures on the Internet of this type of knitting art in public spaces, to have it in my own neighbourhood was a real treat. I went straight back home to fetch my family and take them around to see it, to share my joy.
Later in the evening we had a phone call. The news was bad. A friend has lost her husband, suddenly. We've not even reached 50 yet. I don't know exactly how old her husband was, but it would be about my age, and I don't think I'm old. I cannot even begin to imagine how my friend must be feeling. I cannot associate with her in this dreadful time of sadness, and there is nothing I can do to ease her pain.
So why is it that whenever I take true and pure delight in my life that something always happens later that very same day to take away the joy?

No comments: