Saturday 16 October 2010

Love Letters

Here is the completed quilt top called 'Love Letters'. I bought the kit at The Patchwork Teahouse in Warburton, after first seeing it on the Fabric Frolic when I frolicked with a friend in 2005.  I have had a lot of fun making this quilt because there has been no time line, no desperate need to finish it by a certain date, so I have plodded along with it as I please, enjoying the process. Instead of embroidering the lovey dovey sayings according to the pattern, I chose to address my 'letters' more personally. One has my maiden name and childhood address, another has my husbands name and childhood address, and the third is addressed to both of us at our current address. I found a fabric with stamps on it, albeit U.S. stamps, cut them out and blanket stitched them in place. I had to make my own monograms too, which I dud using Derwent pencils to colour in the letter and embroidered around the letter with floss, finishing them off with a couple of embroidered flowers. Since doing that I have learned that the pencil will probably wash off.
Now I will send it off to be machine quilted, then I will have to complete it with a prairie point binding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The quilt is too nice and with the persoanl touches it is worthwhile trying to set the pencils.

To set the colour pencil, iron it, which you probably have done in the construction anyway, then add a few drops of Fabric Medium to a teaspoon of water, and use a small brush to apply sparingly over the pencil.

Judy B