Sunday 8 February 2009

Now it's our Worst Weekend


This morning when I wrote my post we knew a lot of land had gone up in flames, but as our day unfolded the reports became more and more horrific by the hour. The death toll from bushfires in the state of Victoria grew from 35 to 40 to 50 to 60 and as I prepare for my own comfortable bed, the death toll is 84. They predict this figure will now go over 100. Among the dead was a well-known newsreader - a familiar face we saw on our television every night. As a small way of making a public statement of the sadness I feel for my fellow Victorians, I have made a cross of black ribbon, which I will wear for the coming week in memory of the dead. I know Aussies will help the victims, but I hope my blog reaches people in other countries so that they may know our grief and offer a helping hand.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Please visit my blog and see what I've given you