Thursday 4 December 2008

The Maria Challenge Quilt

Four weeks ago I picked up my first self-published novel from the printers and brought it home. Little did I know that I had just boarded a roller-coaster ride of emotions. There was no fanfare at all as I trudged back and forth from the driveway, hauling five boxes inside and dumping them on the lounge room floor. My family weren't around and there was no one to share the moment with. Neither had I organised any official 'launch' for my novel. The poor little thing sat there on the lounge room floor waiting to be wanted, and I looked at the boxes with a touch of fear. What had I done? I had just spent a lot of money on printing a novel. Would it be good enough for the public.
In these last four weeks I have learned to open my mouth and talk to people, telling them all about my novel and to my surprise, people have been interested. In fact, people have been wonderful! My darling husband is not the least bit surprised. He keeps telling me "of course they'll like it, why wouldn't they?" I love his attitude almost as much as I love him.
So let me introduce you to my first published novel. Titled The Maria Challenge Quilt, it is the story of four modern women who share a love of patchwork and quilting. They are members of a large guild and also meet fortnightly to sew and talk, share their joys and their worries, and ultimately support one another. At the first guild meeting for the year a guest speaker enthralls her audience with the poignant story of her convict ancestor, Mary Lewisham who was transported to Australia in 1818. The guild then presents the patchworkers with a challenge, which sets the women on journeys of self-discovery.
My novel is beng distributed through patchwork stores in Victoria, with hopes of expanding into other states soon. Perhaps those of you who are going on the Fabric Frolic in Melbourne's East next January will pick up a copy then. Meanwhile, the latest news is that I will be doing a book signing at Michelle's Sewing Basket in Ringwood on Saturday 13 December 2008 from 11:00 am. Perhaps I'll see you there? Let me know if you've read my blog.

1 comment:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Hey Margaret

Jackie Mav came across my blog and left me a message and now I've found yours via her. Congrats on the book. What a wonderful achievement of a long held dream. I hope it is really successful for you.

Hope you are all well.

Cheers
Cathy K